Education is part of our job.
We hold classes on topics relevant to our customers and our community, to help people effectively adopt green lifestyle choices. We usually hold classes in the store, but some are field trips to places of interest. We can also come to your group to offer classes and talks on topics of interest -- please email us for more information.
Our aim is to help people:
- Eat a diet comprised of whole foods, mostly vegetables, that highlights seasonal produce, fermented foods, nutrient-dense herbs, and pasture-raised animal products in moderation
- Cut out chemicals, sugar, and processed foods, and pay attention to food sensitivities
- Eat local -- grow some vegetables and buy from local farmers -- for better food, better nutrition, and to support the local economy
- Use energy, water, and other resources efficiently, and reduce, reuse and recycle effectively
- Consider the whole product life-cycle -- from manufacturing, packaging and transportation, to use and waste stream -- and use your money carefully to make the best green choices
- Limit exposure to chemicals, especially in the home and workplace
Going Green Class Policy
Pre-registration with payment is required, so that our teachers can plan ahead. Register in person at The Going Green Store or call us at 740.963.9644 to register by credit card. Classes will be held with a minimum of 5 participants. If we must cancel, we will notify you 48 hours before the scheduled class time, and a refund or credit toward future classes will be provided. Classes are small to keep it personal, so space is limited. If there is still room, you may register up until the time of the class.
20% of the proceeds from class fees will be donated to local charities working on health, local food and environmental issues.
Help us spread the word about these upcoming classes:
with Dawn Combs
Register for all 4 classes for $110.
Receive 10% off Mockingbird Meadows products the evening of the class.
Demystifying the Natural Health Aisle
Wednesday, February 26th, 6:30 - 8:30 pm, $30
Converting to a Natural Medicine Chest
Wednesday, March 26th, 6:30 - 8:30 pm, $30
Planning & Caring for the Herbal Garden
Wednesday, April 23rd 6:30 - 8:30 pm, $30
How to Make Your Own Herbal Medicines
Wednesday, May 28th, 6:30 - 8:30 pm, $30
Register for all four classes for $60.
Going Gluten Free
Thursday, February 20th, 6:30 - 8:00 pm, $15
Receive 10% off all gluten free products the evening of the class.
Gluten Free Sourdough Baking
Thursday, March 20th, 6:30 - 8:00 pm, $25 (includes gluten free sourdough starter)
Going Grain Free
Thursday, April 17th, 6:30 - 8:00 pm, $15
Coconut: A Miracle Food
Thursday, May 15th, 6:30 - 8:00 pm, $15
Receive 10% off all coconut products the evening of the class.
TRADITIONAL FOOD PREPARATION
with Dawn Combs
Wednesday, March 12th 6:30 - 8:00 pm, $25
Cultures will be available for purchase. Receive a 10% discount on cultures the evening of the class.
with Erin Harvey
Wednesday, April 2nd, 6:30 - 8:00 pm, $25
Receive a 10% discount on salt, jars, and crocks the evening of the class.
with Erin Harvey
Sign up for:
1 class: $25
3 classes: $70
6 classes: $135
9 classes: $200
Eat Well All Season
Wednesday, February 19th, 6:30 - 8:30 pm
Starting Your Own Seeds Indoors
Wednesday, March 19th, 6:30 - 8:30 pm
Receive a 10% discount on seeds and seed-starting supplies the night of the class
Pest & Weed Control
Wednesday, April 16th, 6:30 - 8:30 pm
Receive a 10% discount on garden tools and organic pest control the night of the class
Wednesday, May 21st, 6:30 - 8:30 pm
Veggie School runs through November. Click here to see information about the entire series of classes.